0

Grammar : Indirect Speech

Monday, June 13, 2011
Share this Article on :
We use indirect speech when we report what people said. in indirect speech, the tenses usually goes 'one step back'. Look at the table below :


Direct speech
Indirect speech
Simple Present Tense
“I always go to school”
Simple  Past Tense
She said that she always went to school
Present Continuous
“I am doing my homework”
Past Continuous
She said that she was doing her homework
Simple Present/Present Perfect
“ I did not do my test well”
“I have sent an email”
Past Perfect
She said that she had not done her test well
She said that she had sent an email
Modals
“I’ll see you at the party”
“I can tell stories in English “
“You must be careful “
Modals
She said that she would see me at the party
She said that she could tell stories in English
She said that I had to be careful

Be careful when you use tell and say. Tell always needs a direct object while say always needs an indirect object.

INCORRECT
CORRECT
She told to me….
She told me…
She said me…
She said…

(Taken From : English On Sky 2, 2007 )


Artikel Terkait:

0 komentar:

Post a Comment