0

Grammar : Prefer to do and Prefer doing

Monday, June 13, 2011
Share this Article on :
You can use "prefer to do " or "prefer doing" to say what you prefer in general.

  • I don't like cities. I prefer to live (or prefer living) in the country.
Study the difference in structure :
I prefer (doing) something to (doing) something else
but : I prefer to do something rather than (do) something else
  • prefer tea to coffe
  • Tom prefers driving to traveling by train
but : Tom prefers to drive rather than travel by train.
  • prefer to live in the country rather than (live ) in a city.
Use would prefer to say what someone wants (to do) in a particular situation. You can say would prefer to (do) or would prefer (do) ing :
  • "Would you prefer tea or coffee?" "coffee, please"
  • "Should we go by train ?" "Well, I'd prefer to go by car." or "well I'd prefer going by car"
Would rather (do) = would prefer to do. After would rather we use the base form. Compare :
Well, I'd prefer to go by car.
Well, I'd rather go by car (not to go)
  • "Would you rather have tea or coffee ?" "Coffe, please."
  • I'm tired. I'd rather not to go out this evening. If you don't mind
  • "Do you want to go out this evening?" "I'd rather not"


Artikel Terkait:

0 komentar:

Post a Comment